Monday, April 16, 2007

The Right Tools for the Job


Well, it was out first full weekend of work on the house. My hubby was awesome and let me sleep in on Saturday morning. I showed up around 10, grabbed us lunch and proceeded to fill the dumpster. Of course it rained all weekend. Not to worry! I made my maiden solo voyage to The Depot. I bought a shopvac and a tarp. We were in business for cleaning demolition debris.

Last night we did run into our first 'hmmm' problem. He started ripping down the ceiling in the living room only to find stuff we didn't' exactly know how to deal with. Remember---we don't do this for a living; we just think we do. So problems that come up, and I'm positive, have an easy solution, we have no idea how to deal with. But, we're smart---we'll figure it out. Anybody have suggestions for cool ceiling solutions?

We ripped the cabinet that housed the sink and garbage disposal. You'd think this would be a 10 minute job. Nope. It took a little longer than expected b/c there was electrical (SCARY TO ME) and then there was plumbing---AND an old metal cabinet that didn't seem to want to give up it's place in the kitchen. If only we had the RIGHT tool for the job, it would have come out with a little less elbow grease. I'm so proud of my husband though-he made it work with a pair of diagonal pliers and a sledge hammer. Brut force and ignorance, as my high school calculus teacher used to say---sometimes that's what you have to use to get the job done.

I spent most of this weekend hauling 2x4's to the basement and plaster and drywall into the dumpster. OH--and I got to use the shopvac. I think that's my favorite tool from the weekend.

Today, we're demoing the bathroom.
I'll post some pictures of the demo soon!

No comments: